Collaborations on the KMP platform can be made in different channels:
- The Forum - powered by DISQUS, the forum supports discussions with focus on specific topics, Members are encouraged to discuss and help each others in this forum. Discussions will become the knowledge of KM practice by different members in reality. Members helping each other will also develop themselves as a subject matter expert (SME), which will become their identity under this KMP platform. This is the road to become professional.
- Comments - powered by DISQUS, specific content types on the KMP platform are comments-enabled, such as articles and blogs, Discussions and feedback of the articles or blogs will facilitate interactions between members and the authors.
- Chat Room - powered by iflychat.com, this chat room facilitate an instant response support mechanism between members. Members can freely use this chat room as a helpdesk, or for other purposes.
- The KMP Facebook page - a public Facebook page open to public. It is more suitable for the purpose of notifications to members and promotions.
- The KMP2P Facebook group - the original private Facebook closed group used by KMP2P, which was the result of request by the majority KMP2P members in the early stage. However, it was also found that a closed group limits the development of the association. At the time of this article, there are 129 people in the group. This group should be gradually replaced by the new KMP Facebook page.
Looking forward, we shall establish a knowledge base and FAQ out of the content of collaborations.
On the technology side, some of these collaboration tools are enabled through some web resources:
DISQUS has been used as the forum & comments on the KMP platform instead of the built-in native features for a number of reasons:
- Offload the Drupal website server and keep the platform efficient
- Change of website in future will not affect the commenting content
- Isolate comments and the physical platform can avoid hazardous codes to be entered into the system by anonymous users
- The external services offer additional benefits such as support of mobile devices
- Separate focused analytics available
- DISQUS has a better interface then the comments module in Drupal 7
- External specialized services can be more efficient in operations and response, and more focused improvements in its specialized area
- More additional features by DISQUS can be found at http://disqus.com/features
This is one of the examples of the OSIP strategy - Open Source Integration Platform proposed by the author. The specialization and focus of these resources will develop much better and faster than their competitors. By integrating with appropriate online resources, it allows us to stay relatively in the forefront of technology, yet still flexible enough to switch to a different online utilities as time goes by, and as the market situation changes.